Green Beef Curry using fresh Hawaiʻi Farm-to-Car Ingredients
This recipe is a twist on a favorite – Green Beef Curry. We made this using an instant pot so we could get tender beef chunks in a short amount of time. What makes this dish extra special? It’s all about those homegrown, local ingredients that infuse a burst of freshness.
Plus, this homemade curry paste uses aromatic ingredients like curry leaves, lemongrass, and ginger that will have your home smelling a-maz-ing.
-1 Pound Boneless Stew Beef by Hamakua Meat Processors
-2 Cups spinach (we used Amaranth spinach from Sweet Treats and Gifts)
-6 Cloves garlic
-½ Cup minced lemongrass – Kaiwiki Food Forest
-1 Serrano pepper – Triple Plaid Farm
-4 Inches chopped ginger – Sweet Treats and Gifts
-½ Cup curry leaves – Oliana Products
-½ Sliced white onion
-1 Tablespoon rice vinegar
-1 Tablespoon coconut oil
-¾ Cup beef broth
-1 Can coconut milk
-2 cups rice
- Make the curry paste.
Add the spinach, garlic, shallots, lemongrass, serrano pepper, ginger, and curry leaves into a food process. Add a few splashes of rice vinegar. Process until a thick green curry paste forms nice and uniformly
- Set Instant Pot to saute function and add the coconut oil. Give it one minute to heat up
- Add stew beef and sliced onions. Brown the beef on all sides
- Add curry paste and beef broth. Stir
- Add coconut milk
- Close the lid of your Instant Pot and set on manual pressure, high, for 45 minutes
- Once the time is up, set for a 15 minute NPR
- As you wait for the pressure to release, make your rice
- Remove the lid from the Instant Pot
- Serve curry over rice, and enjoy!
Watch a quick recipe video.